National Nutrition Month® 2024
What is National Nutrition Month®?
National Nutrition Month® is an annual campaign created 51 years ago in 1973 by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. During the month of March, everyone is invited to learn about making informed food choices and developing healthful eating and physical activity habits. See more about the history here.
Beyond the Table
This year’s theme focuses on the entire journey of nutrition from farm to fork. It encompasses aspects such as food production, distribution, navigating grocery stores and farmers markets, as well as home food safety and storage practices. Additionally, it describes the various ways we eat, including not only meals around a table but also on-the-go, in schools, restaurants, games, and events. Sustainability is also a key component, with an emphasis on reducing food waste across various settings, from schools and workplaces to homes and beyond.
Here are some ways that you can participate in this year’s theme “Beyond the Table”:
Week 1: Sustaining a Nourishing Diet on a Budget
- Acquiring essential skills in cooking, food preparation, and strategic meal planning.
- Developing financial knowledge and skills, including the use of grocery lists and strategic shopping during sales.
- Encouraging awareness of community resources like SNAP, WIC, and local food banks.
- Practicing home food safety.
Week 2: Consultation with Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN)
- Seeking personalized nutrition advice from a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist.
- Promoting referrals from doctors for comprehensive nutritional guidance.
Week 3: Emphasis on Dietary Diversity
- Exploring various food forms and cultural inclusions.
- Experimenting with ingredients and exploring global cuisines to enhance dietary diversity.
Week 4: Environmentally Conscious Food Choices
- Advocating for environmentally conscious choices.
- Creative use of leftovers, increasing plant-based consumption, and preferring seasonal and local produce.
- Encouraging the possibility of growing food at home or in community gardens.
Please visit the National Nutrition Month® campaign toolkit here to explore official tip sheets, games, activities, press releases and planning materials
Videos and Activities
Explore the tabs below to find some video resources and engaging activities from our partners and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics!
Explore the tabs below for some written resources and other downloadable material for use offline!