Jobs, AmeriCorps Positions, Internships, & Volunteer Opportunities
Food as Medicine Coordinator
Reports to: Food and Health Network Director
Our Organization: Rural Health Network of South Central New York is a regional nonprofit organization based in Binghamton, NY that works to advance the health and well-being of rural people and communities. The Food as Medicine initiative is housed within the Food and Health Network program. Food and Health Network (FaHN) is committed to building food-secure communities and a thriving, healthy, regional food system through collaboration and supports programs and policies that bridge connections between regional agriculture, food access, healthcare, and economic development. More information on our programs and approach is available at foodandhealthnetwork.org and rhnscny.org.
General Duties and Responsibilities: The Food as Medicine Coordinator will play a key role supporting the implementation, growth, and sustainability of the Fruit & Vegetable Prescription (FVRx) program and other emerging food as medicine initiatives in a multi-county region. The Coordinator will expand the capacity and impact of programs through planning, coordination, resource development, communication, monitoring and evaluation, and regional technical assistance. The Coordinator will work closely with the FaHN Director, health care providers, hospital systems, local food retailers, program participants, and partner organizations.
Rural Health Network of South Central NY’s Fruit & Vegetable Prescription Program (FVRx) allows healthcare providers to prescribe fresh fruits and vegetables to patients experiencing diet-affected chronic health conditions while providing additional support for patients. The program is designed to improve healthcare outcomes, optimize medical spending, and increase patient engagement and satisfaction while also supporting local farm and food businesses. In addition to access to produce, participants receive ongoing support to encourage and sustain behavioral changes for healthy living. RHN has operated the FVRx program since 2017.
Program Implementation & Coordination
- Support day-to-day management and implementation of FVRx program activities, including but not limited to:
- Recruitment, training, and ongoing technical assistance and troubleshooting for program partners, including healthcare providers and food retailers
- Prepare, manage, and coordinate distribution of program materials
- Conduct regular site visits to healthcare clinics and food retail partners
- Coordinate and attend regular meetings with program partners
- Establish channels for participant input into program implementation
- Evaluate feasibility of new technologies for incentive delivery and redemption
- Collaborate with partners to offer cooking and nutrition education classes
- Coordinate with RHN’s Getthere program and other partners to expand transportation and home delivery services for participants.
- Work with FaHN Director to contribute to fundraising and development activities to support the FVRx program and other food as medicine initiatives.
- Support the exploration of other food as medicine initiatives, including Medically Tailored Meals
Program Monitoring & Evaluation
- Support data collection and management, including collecting, reviewing and analyzing participant survey data and voucher redemption data
- Coordinate with RHN staff to establish a Return on Investment (ROI) calculation for the program
- Contribute to the development of program progress reports
- Coordinate M&E activities and program adjustments with partner organizations and RHN staff
Communication & Information Sharing
- Provide regular external communication about the program through social media, website, and contributions to organizational newsletters
- Facilitate regular information sharing and collaboration with other food as medicine initiatives throughout the region
- Stay up to date on best practices across the country and participate in relevant communities of practice and coalitions
- Relevant experience working in public health, health care systems, nutrition, local food systems, or related fields; and demonstrated experience in program coordination and monitoring and evaluation
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Rural Health Network’s work
- Commitment to equity, and experience and cultural competence working with historically marginalized people and communities
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and collaboratively with partners.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, written communication and presentation skills – ability to adapt communication style and content to a variety of audiences
- Strong organizational and planning skills; willingness to innovate, problem solve and seek innovative solutions
- Proficiency with Google Suite and Microsoft Office is required. Experience with Qualtrics, MailChimp, WordPress, social media platforms, and design tools are beneficial
Position is based in Binghamton, NY and we currently operate under a hybrid in-office/remote work model. Position requires a valid NYS Driver’s license. Some travel, primarily in Broome, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Otsego, Tioga and Tompkins Counties (with reimbursement for mileage) is required for this position. Rural Health Network requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date.
Salary & Benefits
This position is full time, 40hrs/week, hourly, non-exempt with benefits. The salary range is $18 – $20/hr commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes:
- 9 paid holidays, 10 paid sick days, and 10 vacation days annually
- Additional floating holiday and personal time after 6 months of employment
- Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Healthcare flex spending account (available annually during open enrollment)
- Retirement contribution after 1 year of employment
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Plan
How to Apply
If interested, please use the following form to apply: https://form.jotform.com/RHNSCNY/rural-health-network-application-
Please submit a cover letter and resume saved as one attachment, and upload under “Resume”. References and a writing sample are not required at the time of application.
Application deadline is November 24, 2021.
Join the Farm to School Corps!
The Rural Health Network of South Central New York is recruiting for AmeriCorps members to join our Farm to School Corps!
The Farm to School AmeriCorps program is part of our collaborative Farm to School work with partners located throughout South Central New York. Farm to School Corps members will work as part of an expanding regional team to develop, implement, grow, and evaluate programs to bring healthy, local food to students. Members will work with staff, students, parents, farms, and community partners to increase capacity for hands-on learning, local procurement, and creating a school-wide culture of health. Positions are 1200 hours, schedules and start dates are flexible but can begin immediately.
Members will collaborate with one another on projects and events, and participate in training, professional development, and networking opportunities as a team. Learn more by contacting Erin Summerlee, Director of the Food and Health Network at email@example.com
Fruit & Vegetable Prescription VISTA
The Fruit & Vegetable Prescription Program (FVRx) VISTA will provide support for the implementation, evaluation, and expansion of a growing regional produce prescription program and other Food is Medicine initiatives. The FVRx VISTA will expand the capacity and impact of the program through coordination, communication, access to resources, and resource development. The VISTA will work closely with the Food and Health Network Director, health care providers, local food retailers, and program participants.
- One year full-time service commitment
- VISTA Pre-Service Orientation: prior to service
- VISTA term runs ONE FULL YEAR
- An interest in, and commitment to, health and/or rural communities and people
- Evidence of current and/or past volunteer service activities
- Communication skills, including writing and verbal communication with clarity and accuracy
- Self direction: Members must be self-directed and show evidence of their ability to work independently and efficiently
- Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents, and they must have their high school diploma or GE
- College Degree Preferred
- Living Allowance of $14,960 (pre-tax) provided during service
- Education Award of $6,345 OR $1500 end of service stipend
- Health coverage
- Child care subsidy available for qualified members
- College loan forbearance
- Relocation funds (up to $550) and mileage reimbursement available
Looking for rewarding volunteer opportunities with a diverse regional food coalition? FaHN is seeking volunteers to help with farm to school, events, marketing, fund development, and more! If you’re interested in volunteering, please contact Erin Summerlee at firstname.lastname@example.org.