A healthy food system begins and ends with healthy environments, grounding the production and post-consumption phases of the food cycle.
FaHN’s vision for healthy environments: Farmers use practices to maintain and restore agricultural productivity, biodiversity, and environmental quality for healthy soil, water, air, plants, and animals. Consumers reduce food waste and compost to foster healthy environments post-consumption. Below is a sampling of resources and models helping to achieve this vision.
Conservation, Natural Resource Management, and Grazing:
- The Conservation Effects Assessment Project
- Grazing Lands Conservation Initiative
- New York State Agricultural Environmental Management
- Northeast Organic Farming Association-NY
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Watershed Agricultural Council