Position: Farm to School Coordinator
Reports to: Food and Health Network Director
Our Organization: The Food and Health Network (FaHN) is a collaborative 8-county network dedicated to creating a strong regional food system. FaHN is a program of the Rural Health Network of South Central NY (RHNSCNY) based in Whitney Point, NY. The Rural Health Network’s mission is to advance the health and wellbeing of rural people and communities.
General Duties and Responsibilities: The Farm to School Coordinator is responsible for the management, implementation, and success of the Food and Health Network’s growing farm to school program in 20 school districts. In addition to direct recruitment, procurement, and value-chain coordination, the position will assist with broad program coordination, evaluation and reporting. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1) Provide value-chain coordination and build supply-side capacity, including working with farms, processors, hubs and distributors to recruit local food providers and identify available products in order to increase the volume and variety of fruits, vegetables, meat, and dairy purchased for school meals through a monthly NY Thursday menu.
2) Work closely with BOCES Food Service and school staff to develop and implement new menu items based on seasonal availability, conduct taste tests with students, advise and coordinate the institutional purchasing process, and promote local foods and healthy eating within school communities.
3) Identify strategies and opportunities to establish efficient, sustainable transportation and distribution networks to move products from local farm partners to school districts by building creative partnerships.
4) Convene project partners for regular planning and evaluation meetings and coordinate information sharing between partners and stakeholders.
5) Collect, track, and maintain data on local procurement across all school districts, and maintain a database of farm to school contacts and activities.
6) Provide quarterly program reports on project activities and outcomes for funders.
7) Participate in the Northeast Farm to School Institute and other trainings as assigned.
8) Assist partners in organizing and hosting Harvest Celebrations, and other activities for National Farm to School Month, NY Farm to You Fest, and events that generally promote farm to school.
9) Serve as a member of the Rural Health Network of South Central NY (RHNSCNY) staff team and seek ways to continuously improve and support the work the RHNSCNY. Seek tangible, effective ways to integrate and apply all RHNSCNY services to provide the maximum benefit to those served.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelors Degree and/or relevant experience in agriculture, food systems, public health, education, business/entrepreneurship or related fields preferred. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
These are highly collaborative projects within a diverse web of relationships. Experience and competency in relationship-building, facilitation, program administration, communications, community outreach, reporting, and volunteer recruitment and management is preferred. Proficiency with desktop computer and standard programs. Design and marketing skills are beneficial. Optimism, respect, organization, and an ability to advocate for and work with multiple stakeholders are necessary.
Position requires a valid NYS Driver’s license. Some travel, primarily in Broome, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Otsego, Tioga and Tompkins Counties (with reimbursement for mileage) is required for this position. Position is full time with benefits, 40 hours/week.
Looking for rewarding volunteer opportunities with a diverse regional food coalition? FaHN is seeking volunteers to help with marketing, fund development, membership, and more! We encourage our members to consider volunteering. If you’re interested in volunteering, please contact the FaHN Director at email@example.com.